Monday, April 13, 2009

Gold List Monday: Say It With Flowers

Happy Monday, dear readers. I trust you had a splendid weekend. Today I have an extra special treat for you. I'd like to introduce to you one of the rising stars on the floral scene, Shoshona Snow Le of ShoSho Designs. Her work is nothing if not fabulous.


What has been the highlight of your career so far?
My most recent career highlight has been forging a relationship with StudioWed Atlanta and working with the area’s top event industry providers. I recently worked on a “Black, White and Modern” birthday bash with several vendors from StudioWed last month including Lemiga Events, Blue World Studios, I Do Linens, and Sugarplum Visions. This combined pool of talent created a SPECTACULAR event!

Please tell us a bit about your services and how you got started in the industry.
Although I can work in any style requested, SHOSHO Designs specializes in creating contemporary arrangements using chic, stylish and unique floral designs and products. I have always had a love for flowers which led me to completing the Georgia Perimeter College’s Floral Design Certificate Program. I was fortunate enough to design for a few high-profile clients and to forge lasting relationships with other vendors within the event industry early on.
I continue to attend floral design seminars, assist and hold floral design classes, and network with today’s top event providers to remain current with industry trends. I love to pass all that I learn on to today’s modern brides!

How soon should couples begin looking for your services? What questions should they ask?SHOSHO Designs is able to handle last minute design requests as close as even a few weeks prior to the event. However, ideally, it is best to contact me at LEAST 3-6 months in advance. This way, we are able to brainstorm, discuss, and revise designs, as well as reserve or procure any additional items necessary to complete the client’s vision.
Here are some very important questions couples should ask, once they have confirmed availability:
1. What are some new and innovative concepts and products that you are offering? (I’m always up to something!)
2. Are my flower colors and choices in season and available for our event date? If not, do have suggestions for alternative choices?
3. How can you make our vision fit our budget?

What do you bring to the industry that’s fresh?
I believe my best assets to the industry are a relaxed personality, a willingness to listen, a quest for innovation, a unique ability to create dramatic arrangements using minimal products, and of course…a competitive pricing schedule.
Additionally, I offer access to a large inventory, unique rental props and products, affordable chair covers and linens (including nylon spandex stretch chair covers – my FAVORITE “new product”), and referrals to high quality industry partners.

Describe your ideal client:
My ideal client has a concept for their event already in mind, but is flexible and open to suggestions for making their event even more special. The ideal client has confidence in my services, is communicative, and allows me a fair amount of artistic license in design.

What would you suggest to the couple that wants something different than the usual floral centerpieces or wishes to use florals in a new way?
I encourage these couples to focus on products and containers that emphasize pattern, structure, and texture. Unique non-floral centerpieces can be designed using a huge number of resources including candles, river rocks, glass, acrylic, branches, paper, fruit, fabric, wood, metal, etc…
Additionally, I advise these couples to draw inspiration from their personal environment and experiences, to explore cultural influences and art and architecture, rather than traditional wedding magazines.
Above all, I advise couples to be creative and NOT be afraid to think outside the box!!

What other creative design elements have you worked with?
Although I received my B.S. degree in Biology, my true passion lay with the Fine Arts, and I have had the unique opportunity to train formally in drawing, painting, and printmaking.
I continue to incorporate the fundamental ideas of balance, perspective, spacial placement, color theory, and aesthetics in my floral works.
How do you incorporate the dress into the design elements of the wedding flowers?
More than any other element of a wedding, I believe the wedding dress and the bridal bouquet best capture the personality of the bride, and usually the overall atmosphere of the wedding. For this reason, I love to incorporate elements of the dress into the bridal bouquet, including beading, unique ribbon-tying techniques, and jeweled accents.
Along similar lines, I am creating a new series of commissioned oil paintings titled “Girls in White Dresses.” These oil paintings do not follow the rules of traditional portraiture, as the aim is to capture the essence of the bride’s personality through a painted rendition of her wedding dress…not her face.

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin