Monday, April 6, 2009

Gold List: Sweetest Thing Bakery

Happy Monday, Everyone! Richmond's bakery scene just got a little sweeter last year when Jenny of Sweetest Thing Bakery opened up shop. Sweetest Thing Bakery is not your mother's wedding cake baker, her designs are contemporary, hip and even a bit fanciful. Jenny was kind enough to share a bit about herself and her wonderful cakes.


Please tell us a bit about your services and how you got started in the industry.
Sweetest Thing Bakery is a young, fresh, and fun bakery. The main focus at this time is on wedding cakes and specialty orders. We can also accommodate most requests along with assisting clients to find what they are in search of, for example dessert catering for parties.

I started baking when I was a kid, later I turned to art and now combine both loves with my cake designs. I went to a lovely little culinary school (Dubrulle) in Vancouver to study pastries and round off my skills. Then opened STB in June of 2008 and haven't looked back. I really love what I do and feel that it shows in my work.

What should a couple expect during a cake tasting and design consultation?
My advice is to be prepared. Look at designs you like and feel free to bring them in. I suggest to come as a couple. Bringing everyone to your tasting will ultimately limit your time and be distracting from the task at hand. Choosing flavors that will complement your tastes as well as keeping your guests' tastes in mind. Take notes of flavors you like and make sure to ask your baker anything that concerns you. I email sketches to my clients along with quotes and details. These are also important parts of the consultation that a lot of bakers will go over during your visit.

What are a few of the most popular flavor pairings?
White cake seems to please all. It pairs well with blood orange buttercream, lemon curd, or passionfruit curd. They are very popular Spring and Summer flavors. For the Fall, fresh ginger cake with vanilla or spiced pound cake with pumpkin cream cheese have been favorites as well.

For the couple who doesn’t necessarily want a large wedding cake, what are some of the alternatives?
I really love the idea of dessert bars with a small cake for cutting and other home-spun desserts like pies, brownies, or candy. Serving 2 or 3 single-tiered cakes guests can choose from have been gaining popularity.

It seems when it comes to the groom’s cake, the sky’s the limit. What have been some of your favorite designs?
Last summer I made a Fox Terrier cake that is still my favorite. This year I am looking forward to making the Chinatown bus that travels from Richmond to NYC in the middle of the night. My clients were a long distance couple and made the trip back and forth several times on that bus. I like it when it is a personal gesture.



No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin